unpacking tonight: The Saudi Public Investment Fund’s commitment to global sports continues on track as the first season of LIV Golf begins. SBJ takes a closer look at the kingdom’s ambitions.
- Which sport will see the next LIV-style disruption?
- New Big 12 media deal seen as triumph for Brett Yeomark
- Bills Adds Dragon Seats Heating/Cooling Technology To Sideline Bench
- XFL roll out new and old team name mix ahead of 2023 return
- Cameron Wagner on Women’s Sports Growth and Streaming Platforms
- Explore the latest trending topics from Leaders in Sport
Nowadays morning buzzcast, Abe Madkour looks at the takeaways from the Big 12 media extensions. NWSL is eyeing expansion and media deals. LIV Golf outlines his 2023 goals.
The sporting ambitions of one of the richest countries on the planet are coming into sharper focus in a scenario that could soon unfold around the world, SBJ writes. Chris Smith In this week’s cover story.
Saudi Arabiaof public investment fund funded a full-scale attack on PGA TOUR spending billions on launch Live Golf And a raid star player.Saudi Arabia’s wealth is also used to secure sponsorships formula onein partnership with WWE Major stakes in esports. Earlier this year, PIF tried and failed to elbow. CVC Capital Partners‘ plans to acquire 20% of WTAAcquired a commercial business for $150 million, two sources said.
Arab country has already won the hosting rights for 2034 asian games participated in a bid with Egypt When Greece host 2030 FIFA Men’s World CupMuch of the company’s strategy is domestic, building stadiums and arenas and supporting the growth of local leagues.The ultimate coup is to be sponsored by the state olympic gamesWhile such a move seems implausible today, a years-long selection process means the competition could eventually be awarded to the Saudi Arabian nation.
Most disruptive of all, however, is the PIF’s devotion of enormous resources to stake assets (if not full control and operations) outside the Kingdom’s borders. The investment fund has so far put capital “on a commercial rather than a strategic basis,” according to a source familiar with the inner workings of the PIF, with sports and sports-adjacent properties being a clear target. .
Read about the crown prince’s key figures Mohammed bin Salman.
Tennis is often seen as a reasonable next target. Saudi– Support investment, SBJ writing Brett McCormick. The four grand slam Likely to escape the threat of rival tours and competitions Live Golf. However, ATP When WTA Tours can be more vulnerable, especially with the smaller 250 and 500 level events scattered across the calendar.
Further coverage on Saudi forays into global sport:
- eSports: Saudi Arabia SBJ says it is trying to show that it can be central to technological progress. Kevin hit.
- Is martial arts ready for disruption? The answer isn’t entirely clear, writes SBJ. Adam Stern.
former predicament big 12 stabilized the future by agreeing with ESPN When fox sports Sources told SBJ about the six-year media rights deal, which totals $2.28 billion and averages $380 million annually. John Orlando When Michael Smith.
This represents a 72.7% increase over the average annual value of current contracts that started in 2012. The Big 12’s current deal has two years left and will average $220 million per year through the 2024-25 season. Final year. His new six-year extension runs from 2030 until he ends in 2031.
The deal is a big win for the Big 12 and new commissioners Brett Yeomark, since he started work on Aug. 1, has quickly started making plans to land new deals with his Big 12 incumbents, ESPN and Fox. The problem was that the Big 12’s exclusive negotiation window with these networks didn’t start until his February 2024. As such, the meeting persuaded networks to begin negotiations for an extension early by telling them that negotiations would not trigger an exclusive window. But Yormark acted quickly to complete his deals with both ESPN and Fox in less than three months.
SBJ every day Today, we’ve rounded up reactions to what is seen as Yormark’s “winning” deal.Also see today’s issue SBJ Media Check out our newsletter for more details on the deal.
of bill started using dragon seatTemperature-controlled sideline benches during Sunday night’s home game packersreport sports techof tom friendBill signed a multi-year deal heading into the colder parts NFL Season.
Dragon Seats’ hybrid technology can heat and cool the sideline benches depending on weather conditions. The company’s contract with Bills includes sideline support technicians and the option to deploy additional sideline heaters that are safer than traditional “torpedo” heaters used during frigid football games. .
The Bills are one of approximately 20 NFL teams affiliated with the NFL. clevelandIncludes base dragon seat cowboys, eagles When Dolphin (who uses the company’s cooling technology). Dragon Seats NHL and college football.
the bench of buffalo It’s meant to warm the player’s whole body, and as a courtesy, we provide six dragon seats to teams on the opposite sidelines. Highmark Stadium.
new XFL Unveiled team name and brand, leftover collection from failed 2020 launch, old brand in new market and all-new identity, says SBJ Ben Fisher.
Coming back with the same name in an updated logo is St. Louis Battlehawks, dc defenders When Houston RoughnecksThe other two markets have slightly changed names but the same colors. Seattle Dragons now Seattle Sea Dragonsand old Dallas Renegades now Arlington RenegadesThe three markets are completely new. San Antonio Bramas, vegas vipers When Orlando GuardiansThe Las Vegas and Orlando teams are named after the non-returning 2020 XFL teams and have similar logos.
Brahmas is the only team brand that does not have a clear connection to the 2020 league. The 2020 league ended with him playing five games amid the pandemic and the then owner Vince McMahon bankrupt the league shortly after. This new version was acquired out of bankruptcy by a group including: dwayne “the rock is” Johnson, Danny Garcia When Redbird Capital PartnersThe league’s intellectual property was included in the deal.
In July, the new XFL announced it would adopt a “hub” model of operations. Choctaw stadium of Arlington, texasAll eight teams share an intensive performance facility for preseason and weekly training.
as of last week SBJ Game Changers meeting at MetLife Stadium, Elevate your sports venture Chief Customer Officer Cameron Wagner explained how the stability of women’s sports is spurring further growth and why streaming is a key trend she’s eyeing. Watch the full interview with the SBJ correspondent paxton elrod.
Wagner praised the growth of women’s sports/fandom, but emphasized the need for “sustainable progress”, not just rapid growth. upon. “
Here are some highlights from our recent Behind The Scenes newsletter. game changer Last week’s events:
- Progress is being made to stop the ‘vicious circle’ of undervaluation
- Andrea Brimmer of Ally Financial Encourages attendees to ‘bring a buddy next year’ to a women’s sporting event
- Pioneer Anne Myers Drysdale plead with the crowd to guard against protection Title IX
- name of winner above MetLife Stadium Jumbotrons and Ribbon Boards?yeah it happened
- attended by a full house CSM mentoring challenge reception
- WNBAMore commissioner Cathy Engelbart owner with NWSL Kansas City Current spend quality time together
- University of Virginia Student-Athlete Overwhelmed at Conference
Stay up to date with the leader’s feed on sports business and performance.
For more information like this, sign up for the Readers newsletter here.
sports business journalof reader survey Came back! This year’s question takes a broad look at the industry and the many changes that have occurred in recent years. Here are the questions:
- What was this year’s sports business story?
- Have you seen it Live Golf this year?
- Is NIL good or bad for college sports?
- How have your sports betting habits changed over the past year?
The survey takes about 6-7 minutes. Click here to vote and check the results at SBJ the week of December 5th.
- of golf now When tee off The booking platform will offer roundup offers again this November. NBC sports nextoperates the service Salute to the NFL Service Campaigns and Notes SportTechie’s David Ramsey.
- Nascar declared sold out on Sunday cup series race in Martinsville Speedway (Capacity of about 65,000), the first for that event since 2006, notes SBJ. Adam sternSold out means that NASCAR is ending the season with eight Cup Series events sold out.
- epic games entered into a partnership with ralph lauren SBJ reports on in-game purchasable content hunter cooktwo separately purchasable kits fortnite item shopAccording to the developer, this is the first time Ralph Lauren has changed its logo for a partnership.
- Hyperis CEO Jim Heuser Tell SBJ Eric Bacharach that the company cooperated closely MLB Optimizing solutions for consistent performance across all clubs in the postseason.This included the rollout of several new products that have been used throughout the postseason.
- buzzer reached a partnership with ATP media This will allow short-form live sports platforms to provide fans with live men’s tennis content and match alerts on their mobile phones, reports SBJ. Liz Mullen.
Are you or someone you know running in the sports business industry? TCS New York City Marathon November 6th?In that case, please contact us Xavier Hunter Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org after the race with your time, photos and a quick note about your experience to share with our readers.