SANTA FE — The Office of the Superintendent of Insurance (OSI) New Mexico Auto Theft Prevention Authorities (NMATPA) offer multiple auto thefts at this year’s 50th International Balloon Fiesta. preventive services.
With the Albuquerque Police Department Auto Theft Division and APD Real Time The Crime Center, OSI NMATPA, launches the unit’s GPS surveillance service for registered balloons. Fiesta participants.
This service is provided free of charge to both local and visiting balloon pilots.The program offers participants Keep in mind that their vehicles and equipment are protected from theft 24 hours a day. OSI NMATPA and The APD Real Time Crime Center monitors hundreds of deployed GPS units throughout the week.
Interested pilots can sign up with the OSI Criminal Division staff during pilot registration.
In addition, OSI Agents are on hand during the festive week to provide the public with the following information: Automobile anti-theft technology and to be part of saturation patrol in high traffic areas.
of OSI NMATPA wants to let people know that there are many “free” or “low cost” steps car owners can take. You can do the following to protect yourself, your vehicle and your belongings:
- Lock your car trunk if you are not carrying luggage or valuables.
- Close all windows and sunroof.
- Make sure your vehicle is locked. Do not leave the car running.
- Park your car in a well-lit area.
- Be aware of your surroundings, look around, and write down what you see.
- If you encounter a thief, do not resist. Cars can be replaced, but not replaced.
- Get the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) etched into each window.This is a free service The OSI NMATPA unit offers many events throughout the year.When
- Invest in anti-theft locking devices (ignition cutoffs, alarms, sensors, and/or tracking devices).
Below are the top 10 most stolen vehicles in New Mexico, according to the National Insurance Crime Administration.
- Ford pickup (full size);
- Chevrolet pickup (full size);
- Hyundai Elantra;
- Dodge pickup (full size);
- modern sonata;
- GMC pickups (full size);
- Honda Civic;
- Honda Accord; and
- Nissan Altima.
If you suspect fraud, please contact the OSI Fraud Bureau Special Agent in Charge. Please contact Joseph Chavez (email@example.com) or OSI (www.stopfraud.org). or 877.807.4010.